Sunday, July 7, 2013

US Consulate Appointment

This morning was our US Consulate appointment to apply for an immigrant visa. This is the last step of the puzzle to be able to bring Daniel home with us. We will receive his visa stamped into his Chinese passport tomorrow evening. We fly out on Wednesday afternoon China time and arrive home Wednesday afternoon LA time. 

Outside the Consulate were hundreds of people waiting in line. Our guide said they are all waiting to apply for visas to be able to enter the US. As we walked past all these people in line and walked straight into the building, it once again hit me how privileged we are to be US citizens. 

We have no pictures of our appointment since no cameras, cell phones, watches, guns, etc. were allowed. 

There were about 10 other American families with their newly adopted children applying for immigrant visas with us. Such a powerful experience to be in a room full of kids who 8 days ago were orphans and are now our beloved children. Some of these children are already visibly different from just one week of being in a family. Adoption is amazing! 

There is no such thing as an unwanted adopted child. 

After our appointment we returned to the area of Guangzhou near Shamian Island. We walked through a spice market, a pet market, several alleys, a large pharmacy, and a shopping district. No way I can adequately describe, I'll let the pictures try to tell the story. 

In the van after the Consulate.









Walking past the Shifu Holiday Inn. With our guide Kathy. 


With the Burkes.



Glistening in the hot taxi. That's what I do in China. I don't sweat, I glisten.

















No comments:

Post a Comment