He did not enjoy this at all.
Why?
Well, his mama had to set him down twice. Two times too many in his mind.
He still won't let me out of his sight. He is very unhappy if most of his body is not directly attached to mine.
He clings to me pretty much all the time, night and day.
If I set him down, a look of terror comes across his face and he lets anyone within a mile radius know what he thinks about it.
He wakes up fussing every 15 minutes or so all night to make sure I'm still there. Once he sees me, he goes right back to sleep.
He has some deep fears.
He is not fond medical professionals.
He does not like elevators, hallways, or small cramped spaces. Had I mentioned our hotel room is tiny by US standards?
He does not like high chairs.
Stroller? Not a chance.
As long as I'm holding him he is fine. He eats, plays, laughs, imitates, and is a hoot.
He likes daddy a long as mama is holding him.
So for now, we will help him learn to trust. We are reviewing the chapter on Fear in our favorite adoption and attachment book, "The Connected Child."
We covet your prayers for wisdom!
So now for the pot on the table part. A blue plastic bucket was placed on our table at lunch at a local restaurant. An authentic, local restaurant. As in, no one speaks English and we are ordering by pointing at a picture and hoping what looks like chicken IS chicken. We've had one episode of mystery meat since we've been here, and that's enough for me. We believe it was mammal meat, but still aren't sure.
Anyway, I digress. We've noticed these basins are sometimes placed on restaurant tables, but only at some tables and not others. A spittoon? A hand washing station? A leftover container?
Well, upon closer inspection, we think we might have figured it out. It's a potty and it is only placed at tables with children. These are needed because most little kids here wear split pants. Google it, I don't want to explain.
The one placed on our table still had some yellow liquid in it. It had a picture in it that said, " Baby Pot."
If we are wrong about this, feel free to correct us. I'd love to be wrong!
Happy Fourth of July from China!
That's enough for today. Tomorrow we visit Shamian Island. We are done with adoption stuff until Monday.



Oh my! ( regarding the pot on the table!!)
ReplyDeleteYour little one is absolutely precious!
EEEEwwwww. LOL the look on my face was exactly the same as your face when I scrolled down to see your picture.
ReplyDeleteSo happy that your medical exam is behind you and thankful Daniel didn't need the TB test/blood draw. While it is great that he adores his mama, I will pray that his attachment is trust based. We are home almost 2 months now and it is amazing to see how much change there has been in that time...still a long way to go though.
As I have heard so many share, China is all about survival mode for all of you. Sounds like you are doing a beautiful job of it though I am sure your arms are aching and strongly desire a full night of sleep.
Thanks for taking time to post. I love following along.
Joyfully,
Paige (using my dtr's google account)
I love this post! Crying tears of joy for you guys!!! We are praying for u and can't wait to see u and Daniel when u get home!!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely hilarious! There are some cultural differences that are just a little too hard to embrace. That is probably one of them. I hope you brought the Ergo carrier to hang on to that cute little guy a little more closely. Can't wait to meet him. Bon Appetite, I think!
ReplyDeleteThe Ergo has been our salvation! I keep telling Chad we owe you a million!
DeleteOh wow. Glad we adopted older children and never were served with a pot! LOL!
ReplyDeleteOh my! Man, you are having the FULL experience!
ReplyDeleteWe'll pray for wisdom and the endurance to keep loving through all those fears.