Our aim with Luke will be different than with Daniel. They are so different in their needs. Daniel was terrified and very anxious, he would not allow anyone to touch him or get near him. Luke, on the other hand, has no anxiety or fear, and will go to anyone. If the literature can be trusted, we understand that Luke has a longer road ahead of him in regard to attachment because of these symptoms. Here is our post from last year as a reminder of what we did with Daniel and what we will now be doing for Luke:
Many of our local church family and friends have asked us what they can do to help when we get home. One way you can really bless us is by bringing us a meal. This is going to be a big need, especially as I spend so much time focusing on feeding Luke, and hanging with the other kids. Meals would be a huge blessing!
http://filledwithjoyfamily.blogspot.com/2013/06/cocooning.html (you will have to copy and paste this, sorry! Can't figure out how to hyperlink on my phone).
A few boundaries we are setting as we build a cocoon surrounding Luke:
*only Chad or I will feed him for a few months. He needs to learn that this is a need only his parents will provide.
*only Chad or I will console him when he is hurt, sad, or tired.
*he gets to have as much play time with his siblings as he wants. However, they will be a source of fun and love. They will not provide for any of his needs. Only dad or mom provide for his needs.
*he won't be going to the nursery at church or anywhere without either Chad or I for quite a while.
*he will be with either Chad or I 24 hours a day.
*if you ask us into hold him, expect us to say no. Children with Luke's disposition easily attach to anyone who holds him. This would be a big set back in regard to his attaching to mom and dad first.
*only Chad or I will feed him for a few months. He needs to learn that this is a need only his parents will provide.
*only Chad or I will console him when he is hurt, sad, or tired.
*he gets to have as much play time with his siblings as he wants. However, they will be a source of fun and love. They will not provide for any of his needs. Only dad or mom provide for his needs.
*he won't be going to the nursery at church or anywhere without either Chad or I for quite a while.
*he will be with either Chad or I 24 hours a day.
*if you ask us into hold him, expect us to say no. Children with Luke's disposition easily attach to anyone who holds him. This would be a big set back in regard to his attaching to mom and dad first.
Many of our local church family and friends have asked us what they can do to help when we get home. One way you can really bless us is by bringing us a meal. This is going to be a big need, especially as I spend so much time focusing on feeding Luke, and hanging with the other kids. Meals would be a huge blessing!
Please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you all in advance!

No comments:
Post a Comment