Sunday, June 30, 2013

Keeping busy in Guangzhou as we wait for Gotcha Day

The day started out bright and early.

We hit the amazing breakfast buffet at the hotel. Dumplings, curry, omelettes, all kinds of pastries, fruits, fresh vegetables, juices, teas, congee, oatmeal, yogurt, and on and on. We will be eating breakfast well. There were many tables with empty high chairs just waiting for little kids to sit in. One more breakfast for us and then we will need one of these tables.

There is an ancient Han tomb museum just down the street from the hotel. Admission is $2 per person. It was very interesting and a great place to spend a some time before lunch. 

Lunchtime on a Sunday in a city with 15 million people proved to be a small challenge. The two restaurants in the hotel which our guide recommended had over an our wait each. So we trekked next door to the McDonald's. I ate half a burger and decided to quit. I can hardly handle McDonald's at home. Here, I can't seem to handle it at all.

After lunch our guide took us to a large park. It was beautiful, green, and lush. Walking outside in Guangzhou is like walking through a sauna. So hot and humid! I don't remember ever sweating through a shirt before. I suppose I can cross that off my bucket list. Chad and I have talked about how much hotter we will be once we have Daniel strapped to one of us in the carrier. We are looking forward to it!


Dinner was a hoot. Ordering off a menu in Chinese at a noodle shop with no one who spoke English. Not sure who laughed more, us or them. We were definitely the best entertainment they'd had in a while. Chad finally whipped out the iPad where he had downloaded some apps to translate Mandarin. The food was delicious. There were no forks in sight, so Chad used the iPad to ask if they had any, this caused even more laughter. 






We are blessed to have two other families from our agency here to share this time with. Our agency is small and apparently this is very rare to have three families here at once. One of the couples was on our same flights from the US, so we've had some time to chat. They are adopting a 3 year old little girl and naming her Cayla! I need to remember to tell our Kaila this, she will love knowing this. The other couple flew in late last night and they still do not have their luggage. It is in Shanghai. Until tomorrow. Sad. They are adopting a little girl the same age as Daniel, so if the luggage doesn't make it their little girl may be sporting some cute boy clothes. 

We will all get our children tomorrow afternoon. All in all a good day in China, just not as good as tomorrow will be.

1 comment:

  1. We tried looking for a fork once or twice over there... yep it was a hoot... I must have forgotten to let you in on that - I usually tell people take some plastic knives/forks... lol - strange but handy...

    ReplyDelete